Thursday, January 17, 2008

What I did today

I don't think working moms (myself included) give ourselves enough credit when it comes to the shit we get done every day. Not only that, no one else gives us the kudos we deserve either. So I thought I would just mention the things I did today - if I can remember them all just to see if I am full of hot air or if the list is as impressive as I am tired. So here goes:

4:00 (am) That's when my alarm went off for the day
The next hour is spent primping, commuting (a whopping 10 minutes) and getting ready for my work day.
By 4:50 I am seated in my chair waiting for something to do.
I spend the next 10 hours working a console in a center that dispatches fire/ems and law enforcement to a two-county area in Washington State. Today's calls included some accidents, civil situations, phone call transfers to other departments, giving out phone numbers to other local agencies, and listening to one particularly loony woman tell me she has alligators, ware wolves and Santa Claus coming out of her...? In between I do have some fun with my co-workers around the area. We gab in our down time, read the latest gossip rags and keep up on each others lives.

At 3:00 I headed for the gym. I only did a cardio workout today, but this week I have increased my speed, time and distance! I am pretty happy with that, but missing the strength training.

3:30 I headed to my MIL's to pick up the kids.

Around 4ish we were getting Bubba's hair cut. He needed it badly so we finally just did it. After the haircut was the traditional trip to the Dollar Store for a treat. The gal at the barbershop was great, Miss I wanted her hair cut too "Me nee" she was screaming as she touched her hair, so the gal sat her in a seat and combed her hair out. She was Miss Special after that.

It must have been close to 5 pm when we got home the kids turned on a video and I started a fire, because it was freezing cold today, and got going on dinner. My original thought was pizza - quick and easy, but I knew I had planned something else, I just couldn't remember what it was. Somewhere along the lines I got the kids a snack, packed my lunch for tomorrow and remembered I had planned French Dip sandwiches. So I re-set the oven, go the aus jus going and started on chicken nuggets for the kids. They sat down to eat around 5:30ish and My Honey got home a few minutes later.

During dinner My Honey and I try to review our days but the kids need just as much attention so it is hard to do sometimes.

After dinner I read the kids a few books then around 6:15 it was jammie time.

It was maybe 6:45 when I took Miss I to bed and started to read to Bubba. We finished The Trumpet of the Swan tonight. I have never read it, its a pretty good book.

After the kids were down I got my clothes ready for tomorrow (I work so early I get all my stuff ready the night before, isn't that thoughtful of me?).

Then I did dishes, folded a few loads of laundry, got some more started, FIXED A RUNNING TOILET and straightened up the house.

Lets see, did I leave anything out? Oh yeah, I also packed my workout gear for tomorrow. And now its nearing 8pm and I just got a call to come in early to work tomorrow. Figures, I have 2 more OT shifts this week too. Oh well. No rest for the weary.

And that's an easy day in my life.

1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

That is an easy day?! You're doing great- I don't think I could keep up with you. It was nice to see you today at the community center- your kids were so sweet with those little babies. Have a great day.