Friday, April 04, 2008

Baseball camp

I got to hang out at Baseball Camp today. I called out sick for work because Miss I woke up at 11-ish last night with a fever. I (hoped) she would be sick all night so I called out, just in case. Wouldn't you know it she slept through the night and then woke up feeling just fine! Bonus for me, an extra day to start my 4-day weekend. (Theres a lot more to this story, suffice it to say it was probably better for me not to be at work today.)

I dropped off Bubba and watched a few minutes of their warm ups. Then I took off with my sister for coffee. When I returned they had the 25 or so kids separated into age-appropriate groups and they were doing all kinds of activities. They had one group fielding ground balls, one group pitching, another group hitting off a pitching machine, another from a person pitching and a group working pop-flys. I got there in time to see Bubba and Girl Cousin at each station. They did pretty good. The "coaches" were varsity players for the Panthers baseball team. They did a really good job making everyone feel good - especially the littler kids. I noticed they were a little harder on the bigger boys. Girl Cousin is a rock star! She was THE ONLY GIRL at camp and she rode it out! Way to go! Bubba was by far the least experienced (not to mention the smallest) kid at camp and he rode it out too. I was very proud of him that he participated in everything and tried his best. The only thing he didn't want to do was play Pickle Ball. Can't say that I blame him, I wouldn't want high school boys chasing me while throwing hard baseballs around either.

One of the last things they did was a game. They hit off a tee and ran the bases while the guys in the field played catch from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to home plate. My Bubba, bless his heart, hasn't ever played baseball before so the concept of "running the bases" was completely foreign to him. He headed for the base in front of him after he hit the ball ... oops thats 2nd, so one of the varsity guys ran him to 1st and then to 2nd and so on, each time he was up to bat. If it hadn't been so cute it would have been pathetic. What kind of parents are we anyway that our kid doesn't know about baseball??? It's un-American I tell you! Guess we're just the types that aren't really that interested in sports thats all. Turns out Bubba doesn't really like it either. He would rather play soccer "and Karate, thats the best."

Well, at least we tried.

No comments: