Friday, December 02, 2011

A little Friday hockey

Practice this morning was a blast! We did a few one-on-one drills which was really fun and such useful stuff for games. For some reason I spent a fair amount of time on the ice (as in on my butt). Maybe my skates are dull. Maybe I was working really hard. Or maybe it was a dork-day. I will never know. But aside from all that it was a really great practice!

I worked with one of our youngest but really good skaters. She took it easy on me but pushed me just enough. I never felt like she was trying to out play me - which she most certainly can- and she has a real gentle spirit. Just what I needed today.

Our drills were great and so interactive with each other. Learning to take away the puck without getting a penalty, having someone skate alongside or behind you trying to get the puck. A lot of passing and a tad bit of shooting.

So how come I spent so much time on my ass? I really think my skates are a bit dull so I turned them in to get them sharpened and I think i was trying some new stuff, or trying to improve on what I can do so I was distracted, by learning and trying new stuff.

All in all I am not disappointed with practice at all. Not at all. AND let me tell you something else I have learned; I have learned that it's never gonna be right (perfect) the first time. I have realized how much practice really matters and that if you just stick with something you might actually kind of by accident get better or maybe even good at it.

No comments: