Friday, April 27, 2007

Awareness

Lately Bubba is cracking me up with his awareness of things.


For example, we were outside a few nights ago, he and his grandpa had made a ramp for him to ride his bike over. I asked him how it worked and he says to me (with just enough sass that I know it came from Nickelodeon) "Watch. And. Learn." (On second thought, I am sure the sass is hereditary. No teaching needed.)


Today he was rolling a ball down the banister of the stairway. I mentioned it was rolling pretty far once it hit the ground. "Yeah, its going to the chop shop."


"Whats a chop shop?" I asked him


"It's where you chop it up melt it down and turn it into something else." He got that from the movie Robots. I sure am glad I don't have to teach him this stuff, that TV and movies are educating my son.

And his sense of smell has improved. When we got to the fat fest in the park yesterday, he stopped, took a deep breath, and said something like "mmmmm, it smells goooood here." That's my boy, he knows the good smells!


Each day during the Festival there is entertainment at Memorial Park (home of the fat fest) during the lunch and dinner hours. Yesterday was the kick off to the Festival and the entertainment at lunch was awarding local kids "Chief For A Day."

Each law enforcement agency, including the Sheriff offices, Wildlife, State Patrol and Police departments recognize a grade school kid as Chief. It always a neat event that chokes me up. I don't know exactly how the kids are chosen, but they all have some kind of disability or terminal illness. Local law enforcement take them for a ride in their police cars with lights and sirens through town and then do a presentation at the park. Each Chief recognizes their little chief (or "jefe" for the Hispanic community) and shares a little about the kids with the crowd.

As the Judge was swearing-in the kids she says to them "Kids I want you all to raise your right hands." Bubba puts both hands out in front of him, picks his right hand and raised it with the kids. It was priceless.

For my justification: we did sit and read for 15 minutes once this week and as we speak he is practicing writing vowels (yes he does know them) in lower case 4 times each.

No comments: