Friday, May 09, 2008

Nearly Done

Well I made it through Friday too!

It was a busy afternoon. I got off work, went to the MIL's house to get the kiddos for awhile. Took Miss I back to grandmas, where she is spending the night, around 5, took Bubba to soccer practice. I had the opportunity to get to know one of the moms a little better (since we were the only two families there besides the coach). She is a very neat gal, a free-spirit-type, which is always fun to me because it is so NOT me. I just can't fly by the seat of my pants all the time, maybe 1/2 of 1 percent of the time, but not much. It stresses me out! Plus I am not that creative!

After returning Bubba to Grandmas house to spend the night I went to Costco and then went home to unload my few perishable purchases before I went to go for a run. OOPS! I remembered that I needed bananas and a few other items (for tomorrow) from Safeway so I had to do that shopping and then it was already 7:30.

I nearly went for that run, I might be sorry I didn't, but I just couldn't bring myself to leave the house again. Plus it was windy and getting chilly out. I know, I know what a wimp. So my back-up plan is to try and go tomorrow since I will have most of the day off. I committed to seeing all of Bubba's games so I took 1/2 of tomorrow off for his morning game which leaves me with the afternoon free - well, you know what I mean. Our plan is to go out for lunch after the game. Bubba has been asking all week to eat out in a "real restaurant, you know like Red Robin" instead of McDonalds. So thats our plan, we all deserve it after this week.

My Honey is out of town, the kids are at Grandmas so I have the QUIET house to myself. Its always nice to have no TV, no kids, nothing but me my thoughts and a cold one. Tonights choice is a Fat Tire amber ale. Ahhhh.

I want to comment on this book I just finished. It is called Verbal Abuse: Healing the Hidden Wound by Grace Ketterman. It was a very good book that covered a lot of ground regarding verbal abuse. This book was loaned to me, but I think I am going to buy my own copy, there was a lot of good stuff in it that I will want to refer back to time and again. I would recommend it to just about anyone because we can all think of a time when they were a victim or an abuser. It clarified what verbal abuse is, how it affects families, work places, churches and social groups and how to break the cycle for yourself.

I know my family of origin has been in bad cycles of this before, I can't honestly say who broke the cycle but I know for me it's done, I don't take the comments of some of my family members quite as hard now as I did growing up, I know when to walk away and/or keep my mouth shut so that the comments stop. I have worked very hard to take sarcasm out of my response pattern inside my family, but reading that book made me realize that I am not done with this issue. I still have a lot of work to do. I still say things that are demeaning, unfair or cruel at work and at home. Its sad. Its gonna take more work. Thankfully I can see a lot of progress from years past and thats encouraging. Anyway, the book was really good.

No comments: