Thursday, March 27, 2008

A little wordy?

I have been trying to get onto Blogger for two days now and can’t seem to get signed in so I guess I will start this as a word document and then copy and paste it when I can.

Easter was …. Nice? Yeah it was. Auntie Portland was here with her 8 month old and husband. We went out to dinner with them and My Honey’s other sister and hubby on Saturday night. It was kind of funny all us kids out together. We usually sit around my MIL’s house and do our visiting there, but this time we left the kids home and went out like adults. It was fun. I enjoyed myself a lot! Uncle Portland was in rare form and made me laugh until I cried a few times, which I really needed.

Easter day was good. We got up, went to Church and then had lunch at my MIL’s house. I nearly forgot about the kids’ baskets! I had made them up, hidden them and then, when we got home on Saturday night Bubba was still awake and I couldn’t set them out. Sunday morning rolled around and I didn’t get up before the kids so I didn’t get them set out then either. I opted for the “have to run inside to get something” routine on our way to Church. THEN I forgot I had set them out. We got home from Church, putzed around the house until I finally went upstairs and then I remembered about them (because I nearly tripped on them) so I called Bubba and Miss I upstairs to see what they had gotten. They were thrilled! Miss I loved her stuffed animal, Bubba loved his comic book (I saved the Moon Sand for a treat during Spring Break). So the baskets were a success.

Monday and Tuesday there wasn’t any school (same with the rest of this week and next week too.) Monday I entertained us by going to the Y in the morning, where the kids played in the babysitting area and then Bubba had Karate that afternoon and Miss I got to spend some time with my mom. (Thanks Mom for watching her every week!!) Late Monday afternoon Bubba asked me what my “plan” was for Tuesday “what does your day look like tomorrow?” I told him I hadn’t planned anything, I had a massage in the morning and that was it. But I was thinking that some kind of adventure would be fun. He agreed that an adventure would be fun. He suggested a walk in the forest “where there aren’t any bears… or snakes.”

After my massage, lunch and naps we headed to Leavenworth to see what we could see. I had a plan of where I wanted to go, but the roads leading to Blackbird Island were all closed. You would think since I work in the dispatch center that has this information available on a daily basis I would know this, but I didn’t apply it to my plan so we ended up driving around for 15 extra minutes trying to get to where I wanted to go. Finally we ended up going to the Icicle. It’s a beautiful place, we parked where I usually park to cross country ski and walked a little on the trail. There was still a little snow, we could hear the river rushing nearby and hear lots of birds. I don’t know how far we walked, maybe 10 minutes each way, but it was nice to get out, see some nature. The kids liked it too.

Karate is going well for Bubba. He’s been in it for a couple months now and I can see a ton of improvement in his “kata’s” and his coordination. He starts soccer tomorrow and we are debating whether or not to do both at the same time. If its too much we’ll just do karate one day a week instead of two during soccer season. I also signed him up for a baseball camp, with his cousin, next week. Its going to be a busy but fun month!

In preparation for soccer and baseball camp I invested in some second-hand equipment. A new mitt and ball for baseball, a soccer ball, shin guards and cleats for soccer. (Thanks DW for the cleats!) Bubba has spent at least 10 minutes, sometimes up to 45 minutes at a time outside with his new equipment practicing. Its great! Its good for him to play outside (alone) and to be so interested in sports and to want to practice on his own. I love it. Who’d a thunk $50 would go that far! Our first practice is tomorrow at 5:30. Our coach is the dad of one of his classmates so that’s nice too. At least he will know one kid on the team.

Speaking of classmates, I heard from his teacher that this kid is a nice kid and his dad will do a great job coaching. We met with her last night for spring conferences. Bubba is still doing well. “He is ready for 1st grade” she tells us. “Can he start tomorrow?” I asked her. She laughed. I am not kidding. He needs a full day of activities and a little more challenge for his brain. Oh well, just a few months left, then a whole summer to forget!

Last Saturday was “Camp sign up day” at the Y. Its the first day to sign up for summer programs. Kids who sign up on camp sign up day get free t-shirts! So I signed Bubba up for a week of Adventure Club, the “going into first through fifth grades” summer day camp program. Its actually a lot of fun for the kids. They meet at the Y daily, and ride the Y bus to local parks, including a weekly trip to Slidewaters (that’s the day I want to volunteer). They are totally exhausted at the end of the day! It starts in the morning so My Honey can take him to work with him and I can work out then pick him up each day. It should work out very nicely. Not to mention what a nice break for Grandma!

No comments: