Sunday, January 14, 2007

Relationships

Have you ever rented a bunch of movies and found some kind of common thread in them even though you didn't plan it that way? Some actor/actress that is in each movie, or a similar theme or place where it takes place? Well that just happened to me, only it was books I read. I just finished for one more day by Mitch Albom and then read A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer. (I must finish the other two by Pelzer). The similarities were striking. Each dealt with a man's relationship with his mother. How her opinion of him affected his life. How her acceptance, or lack of it molded these men into what they were.

I find it interesting that the one who always had his mothers love and support, turned out to be the drunk loser. The one that was beat within an inch of his life, starved for love, affection and food turned out to be the one who made a huge impact on the world.

So where does that put us mothers? Should we beat our children within an inch of their lives or love them? I don't mean that for real. But looking at those two examples of mothers and children ... its just an interesting study of sociology. How their environments molded them to be who they are. How does one find that balance. The balance of too much love, too much discipline and too much freedom? Ahh, the question of every parent around.

Speaking of parents. My mom called today, she wanted to get together tomorrow night. I told her I have a Bible study I am going to, we can get together afterward. Or she could go with me. She agreed to go with me. Kind of an unusual situation I find myself in. My mom who used to send me on the van to church Sunday mornings going with me to Bible study. Interesting.

And still speaking of parents, my Dad and his family were supposed to come into town this weekend. They didn't make it. It was too cold to leave the horses. They needed fresh water every so many hours and that's a lot to ask of someone else. So my Dad say to me "I hope you didn't do any deep cleaning or anything like that." Which I actually thought was funny coming from him. If it had been said by my Mom, all hell would have broken loose. Interesting our relationships with our parents isn't it?

No comments: