Saturday, June 02, 2007

Memorial Day

Over Memorial day weekend Bubba and I talked about what it is ... That is to say with my limited understanding, I told him it is to honor service men and women who have died fighting wars.

We talked about cemeteries, funerals and a few other things related to dying. He is familiar with funerals, he attends funeral dinners with Grandma because she coordinates them for her church and sometimes he tags along because I am at work, so the idea isn't foreign or scary to him.

Anyway, we are at a local park today for the farmers market (mmm fresh snap peas) where there is a rock with a memorial on it dedicated to a woman who had a vision for a parks system to run along the river. I asked him not to play on the rock, I really don't know if its okay (proper) and he asked why so I told him it was a memorial. "Oh, did someone die?" I told him yes and started to read the memorial to him. He stood there, took off his hat and listened. It was quite touching to me. That all these things I tell him actually take hold and his actions reflect that he REALLY DOES HEAR ME. Thank goodness because I am just about hoarse from all the yelling this past week.

In other news, another one bites the dust at work. We are so short staffed now. One trainee didn't make it through the most recent academy, we have someone leaving in two weeks, one of our gals had a stroke last week (no shit! she is in pretty good shape, but will be out at least a month) and to top it off, the most recent "she's no longer with us" memo. Sounds like a long summer full of 12 hour shifts. UGH. Oh well, cha-ching. That's probably the only thing that will get me through.

I will say this: I so made the right choice stepping down from the supervisor group. I am not sure I would have agreed with this most recent situation, but I wasn't asked either. And its "nun-ya" anyway. Totally an admin decision, and thankfully I don't have to defend it.

No comments: