Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Training

I am in a "Situational Leadership" class this week.

No, I didn't re-apply for a supervisor job (although there were 2 openings posted recently) I am going as a trainer, and to develop myself.

It had actually been very good. Kind of intense for me. It has given me words for my shortcomings. Words, but not solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants person and teach her how to pre-plan? If stuff mostly gets done anyway, whats the point?

How to take a functionally disorganized person and help them to put order to the things that need to get done? Re-direct me, give me the website, the book, the tools to learn these skills. I am a great coach, its the directing stuff, the breaking something apart to explain it ... any way.

Its kind of like sewing a dress. I can take a pattern, measure out the fabric, cut it out, get all the pieces there, but the actual assembly of the project - sometimes I just lose interest by then. Or I get part way through and go "this isn't fun anymore." Certainly I know what has to be done, I can see what the end is going to look like but somewhere I just lose motivation.

So it has been a good class. Now for the application. How will it look in my life next month? Like another book on the shelf? Maybe. I hope not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Punkin Head is nearly walking! WHEW!! She is over 18 months old now. Its pretty cute. She is standing on her own, actually standing herself up in the middle of the room and building the confidence to get herself going. It's fun. Maybe she can teach me about taking steps, follow through, motivation?

No comments: