Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Worries

Bubba had pneumonia in November just before Thanksgiving. Every time he gets a cough now I worry "will it turn into pneumonia?" I try not to be paranoid, but it is so hard when you're the Mom. He has had a cough for the past few days and now a low grade fever. Do I keep him home or send him to school? Should I even give this much stress in my life to PRESCHOOL? Really, no. So I gave him a dose of ibuprofen and will check his temp in a few minutes to see what it is.

It is amazing the things I devote stress to because I am a Mom. Kindergarten for example. Where to send him. We are in a good school district, but will they challenge my child enough? I didn't like school. Once I had a concept down (or so I thought) I was done with it. Usually about 2 weeks into the quarter. So I skipped. A LOT. I am pretty sure I had about a 46% attendance rate in over half my classes. Not that I am really smart, I just don't like to be told what to do, or more specifically HOW. It amazes me that I have actually been able to hold down a job for more than a week or two. But that's why I take jobs I can teach myself. Trial and error is my best way to learn. And I see that in Bubba too.

So I don't know the protocol. Can I call the school, sit in on the kindergarten classes, watch how the teachers are to know if they will challenge Bubba? We are considering a private school too. My real concern there is the discipline. The school we are looking into actually teaches Latin as part of their curriculum, which I think will be useful to Bubba because he has such an amazing grasp of language already, he really will need something to keep him interested.

And perhaps I just think too much about it. (Jee, ya think?)

Also on my mind is this summer. We have a niece due to be born in June. (Yay!! Another little cuddly thing) but they live in Portland and my mother-in-law wants to be there. (No kidding) So I have this urge to get my summer worked out so that she can be there. I really feel like I need to have a plan for the entire month of June and a fall back for the last two weeks of May and the first two weeks of July just in case. Again over thinking, but I would much rather be prepared than to end up trying to pull something together like I had to do for last week.

AND ... Bubba got in some trouble at preschool last year. (You show me yours, I'll show you mine type of behavior.) So we dealt with him and the other child it involved. I thought we were done with this problem. NOPE. The same thing almost happened with another child Sunday. I am very disturbed by his behavior. I can understand once, you get in trouble and it stops. But it hasn't stopped. So I go through many thoughts. Have we sheltered him by not having him in day care? Have we over-exposed him by not being modest enough in our house? Has something happened to him? This one gets me. So I asked, in 5 year old words. And he thinks about it and answers no. But I worry.

No comments: