Tuesday, October 13, 2009

5-4-3-2-1

We are getting there. Guess what happened? The weather changed. We were at the park just last week playing in the water and now it is supposed to snow. WTF! Snow in mid-October? Maybe once in my lifetime we've had snow in late October, and many times by my birthday next month, but on the 13ht or 14th of October. Not that I know of.

It makes leaving town a little more appealing. Although, leaving town has appeal all its own anyway! In fact, the week we get back there isn't any school on Wednesday, Thursday OR Friday right before Halloween so there might be a trip to Issaquah in my future! The kids love going there for Halloween, so I think we'll do it.

I had my first "real" day shift today where the Admin was actually at work. Boy, I miss night shift. It didn't take me long to forget the crap-calls, paperwork and other minor annoyances of day shift.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here Kitty, Kitty.
Bubba wants a kitten. I don't know where it comes from, but he wants a kitten. Heaven help me! I've only ever had one cat. Her name was October, Toby for short. She was an excellent cat and I don't know if another one could live up to my expectations. I think I will use "maybe when the dog is gone" as a way to put it off.

Which reminds me of a Bubba story.
About two weeks into school he had a girl, D, that he talked about a lot. I remembered, and liked (read: approved of) D from 1st grade.

One day after school Bubba asked if D could come over. So she did and they played for awhile and it was all good. I'm trying not to concern myself with boy-girl play dates because whats the use? They're just seven-going-on-eight year olds.

A few days after that I am driving him to Karate and he tells me "something sad happened at the ball-wall." ("Ball-wall", you had one on the playground, the place where you met your friends. At my elementary school it was the trees or the big-tires... we all know what goes on at the "ball-wall" the worlds problems are solved and first kisses happen.) I brace myself and ask what happened.

"Just a minute, let me think" he says as he lowers his head down and takes a deep breath. So I give him a minute.

He raises his head and says "Me and D ... we ... we" and he puts his hands together in front of his face and makes a motion like he's breaking a stick in half.

"You what? You're going to have to use your words, I can't see you very well and I don't understand what that means." I tell him from the front seat.

"We broke. You know, broke up." AAAAHHHH, broke up. WHAT? You had a girlfriend?

"What does that mean, broke up?" I calmly ask him

"Well, you know, we aren't like that anymore, we're just friends. She said the love thing was too much for her." THE LOVE THING????? Oh my.

Needless to say, that has led to a lot of interesting conversations! What is love, what it means to break up, are they still friends? And a little teasing too.

Second grade. Yeah, I am sure I had a crush or two in 2nd grade. But I don't think we got into "going out" until later. Or maybe I didn't get into "going out" until later? Second grade. Imagine what life holds later.

No comments: