Wednesday, April 15, 2009

7-year old angst

Not mine, his.

"So, who really is the Easter Bunny?" agh! It's about 10 years before I thought I would have to answer that question.

At some point every parent has to decide if they are going to LIE to their kids and have an Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy and all that jazz. Do not deceive yourselves, its a LIE. It is an untruth. You can justify it any way you want, but some of us choose to tell our kids a bold-faced LIE about such things. Mostly because we are romantic or love the fantasy of it ourselves. Who doesn't want to believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa or the Tooth Fairy?

But all good things come to an end. Sunday AT DINNER WITH THE IN-LAWS AND MY YOUNGEST PRESENT was the end. Bubba, my 7 year old asked THE QUESTION: "So, who is the Easter Bunny anyway?" In an of itself its a fair question, but presented to his mother with a mouth full of food a the dinner table before my MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL, nephews AND Miss I, well, lets just say it was all I could do not to choke on my food!

The truth came out (and provided a GREAT teachable moment later when Bubba was claiming all the Easter money for his own ...) and no one is more depressed about it than me! My first born doesn't believe anymore.... To tell you the truth, I don't think he ever did, its just the first year he let me know. He's sensitive that way!

No comments: